Sunday, August 5, 2012

What I learnt from being forgotten!

I believe in the idea that there is something to learn from every situation. Having said that my computer has already given me opportunity for further learning this morning,which I will keep for another day, and has left me tapping away here at the screen on the iPhone.
Okay back to the original learning from an experience I had at the Chiropractor a couple of days ago. I'm going to start with the things that I learnt, now I'm sure if I thought about it a bit longer I could come up with more however this is what I have so far.
1) If you have any type of clinic where you have multiple clients going at one time it might be a good idea to have a receptionist.
2) Pain clouds your judgement when it comes to good or poor business practices.
3) When you give clients/patients a bell to get your attention it might be a good idea to actually respond when they ring it.
4) If you go to put a second patient into a room and it reminds you there is someone there perhaps you should at least acknowledge you know they are still there before starting treatment on the next patient and subsequently forgetting them again.
5) I don't like being cold!!

So how did I come to seemingly be forgotten by the Chiropractor and left in a room with an air-conditioner on cold following a 20 minute heat treatment? Well considering I was left with a bell which I rang a number of times an explanation for this escapes me & I didn't wait around long enough to get one off the Chiropractor. After waiting in the cold for what seemed like an eternity and having called out as well as rung the bell when I heard him checking on the guy in the next room (because he thought he had rung his bell) I decided enough was enough and slid out from under the once heated pads got dressed as I wasn't venturing anywhere in the gown I had on & headed to the reception area to inform the Chiropractor that he had forgotten about me. When I got there no sign of another person so I left.
I guess in this instance it is to my advantage that he has poor business practices as on my first visit I was never asked for contact details or medical history so unless he wants to go to the trouble of finding my details by using the credit card or health fund card I'm guessing I won't hear from him. On the first visit I thought this was a bit unusual however as I was in a considerable amount of pain at the time I didn't pay it too much attention and I liked the fact that he used massage & heat (other than when the heat stops & the air-con is still going) in addition to the manipulation.
I can only guess that once the initial 20 minute heat treatment was complete I waited approximately 20-30 minutes before being forgotten and the cold got me angry enough to get up and leave. One of the things I have learnt in setting up a business is that having a technical skill e.g. Chiropractor does not guarantee proficiency in business or customer service skills and if this is the case perhaps the best course of action is have someone who is skilled in these areas do them for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment