Tuesday, August 7, 2012

'Stripper' Pole?

I had another topic in mind for today however after hearing the comments on Sunrise this morning about Stephanie Rice having a 'Stripper' Pole at home I thought I would write about my current exercise program. I'm guessing the Sunrise team didn't do much research on what they were discussing and that what they were actually referring to was a pole dancing or pole fitness pole. Sure strippers in clubs have poles (going by the ones I've seen on tv anyway) however they seem to only dance around them not do the physically challenging moves that those who do pole classes or compete in pole dancing competitions would be capable of doing.
I currently participate in both a pole dancing class and a strength and conditioning class which incorporates the pole and they would have to be some of the most physically challenging yet fun exercises I have ever done. To excel at pole dancing you have to develop amazing upper body strength and a strong core. I never would have imagined even a couple of years ago that I would be able to climb a pole let alone hang upside down without holding on with my hands at this point in time however I am capable of both. As the sign at the pole studio says 'Strong is the new Skinny!'
As for the Sunrise teams questions about where you would put a pole in your home, I imagine somewhere there is plenty of room and if I had such a space and didn't think I'd be in danger of the roof collapsing if I installed one I would have one myself. I had better keep looking for somewhere else to live, perhaps somewhere with a rumpus room or a garage with a sturdy roof.........
If you would like to check out the skill and strength needed for pole fitness the following link is a clip from the Australian Pole Fitness Championships
http://youtu.be/5cLEAbbyVvE

No comments:

Post a Comment