Monday, August 6, 2012

Are Computers programmed to self-destruct?

Okay I had better quickly get this written before the computer decides to completely expire!! On discovering yesterday that I ordered my computer on the 4th August 2011 and therefore only have 5 days currently left on the warranty I started to wonder whether computers actually are programmed to self-destruct once their warranty has run out and mine has generously gotten in ahead of time.
Good news, I stopped writing briefly to ring and find out about having the hard drive replaced as that is what the diagnostic testing has informed me needs to be done and they will have a new one out to me by Wednesday. Although the phone line wasn't particularly good and I had trouble hearing the guy on the other end he was very helpful and it is wonderful to only have to make one relatively brief phone call in order to have the problem rectified. I was even more impressed that they will just send the hard drive out to me and I don't have to take or send the computer anywhere to have it fixed.
The customer service man assures me that the hard drives in these computers are easy to change so I shouldn't have any trouble replacing it myself.
I have in this process learnt that I should back up my computer more frequently than I currently do. After the first issue I had last Tuesday I still hadn't gotten around to backing up my information when it happened again yesterday. Fortunately it hadn't completely died and I was able to back up my information onto my external hard drive before attempting to diagnose what was wrong with the poor thing.
Although blue is my favourite colour I'm not at all fond of having the computer blue screen and now wondering as to the reason the 'danger' screen colour on a computer is blue rather than red.

No comments:

Post a Comment