Tuesday, March 13, 2012

To go or not to go? School reunions

In a discussion about school reunions, some people said they would like to see where everyone had ended up and others said they wouldn't want to attend at all. What is it about school reunions that has some wanting to go, regardless of how they remember their school years to have been and others not want to be reminded?
I'm in the group of those who would happily go along to a school reunion and I think perhaps it comes down to an awareness of how our past is not who we currently are despite the impact it may have had on us. How we see ourselves at this moment is far more important than our perception of what may or may not have happened when we were children or teenagers. It's true that the negative beliefs we have about ourselves were established by our interpretation of events we were exposed to as children however these beliefs were formed from our perception of things at the time which may or may not have been the actual truth.
Having done considerable work in the area of personal development over the past couple of years I'm now aware that what others think about me is not nearly as important as what I think or believe about myself. I don't doubt that a school reunion might bring up old patterns of thinking and various negative beliefs however I now see this as an ideal opportunity for learning more about myself and for further growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment